Skip to main content

Pre-race Notes (intended for crew)

Race goals
Have fun, but push myself
A minimum of 18 laps (60 minutes per lap)

Realistically in the 20-25 lap range

Goal        Avg lap time
20            54:00
21            51:25
22            49:05
23            46:57
24            45:00
25            43:12

FYI, in past team 18 Hour of Fruita events, I was turning back to back mid 27's for the night laps...

Pre race
Weigh me in shorts, short sleeves prior to race
200-400 calories >= 3 hours before race (3 scoops of Sustained Energy would work)
No solid food in the 3 hours prior to the race
Only 16oz of fluid per hour for the 2.5 hours prior to the race. ~40oz total
No fluid the last 20-30 minutes
Make sure lights are ready to roll - HID on the bars and R2 flashlight on the helmet
Remind me to use chamois cream
Remind me to start at a super easy pace

Hydration/Fuel/Electrolytes
Track and make sure I'm doing something close to the following...
Sustained Energy 2.5 scoops per hour
Water 20-25 oz per hour
Endurolytes 2-4 per hour depending on heat (start w/ 2 per hour at night)
Hammer Gel - I don't need any of this, but may use a bit.  If I carry the flask, make sure I'm not going wild on using it
Bike maintenance
Tools in seatbag
Tube
Patch kit
Tire lever
Dumbell wrench
chain and quick links
two CO2 cartridges
CO2/emergency pump on bike
Tire pressure ~24psi
Lube chain
Check chain tension
Ensure chain ring is not loose (recent issues with the lockring loosening)
Brakes not rubbing, especially if I've had a recent flat
Ensure shock is unlocked (lever turned counter clockwise)
If the shock needs to be messed w/ PSI should be 60% of body weight (~93 PSI)

Night laps
Change HID batteries and flashlight batteries at ~2 hours
I may try to run w/ just handlebar mount, but make sure I have a backup if that is the case (light in jersey pocket or something)
Make sure I'm dressed warmly enough, but remember I run warmer than you.  Significantly so.

In general
***If I get the crazy heart rate thing (supraventricular tachycardia) do NOT let me go back on the course until my heart rate is normalish (<=100)
Remind me to stretch
Remind me to use chamois creme
If I am visibly dazed/confused force me to take a 15-30 minute break.  
Coax me out of the pit if I'm looking fine (i.e. no just hanging out)
Although I do not plan to sleep, if I am insistent, let me sleep for 1 hour.
Keep track of weather and have me bring a shell if it looks like rain.
If it is raining, make sure I'm prepared with enough clothing for dealing w/ a mechanical
If my shoes get soaked, remind me that I have extra dry shoes to change into

Keep track of my weight through the race to ensure I am neither dehydrated or overhydrated.
Body weight at finish should be a max of 2-3% lower than starting weight.
Ideally, lose a small amount of weight.  I should not be gaining any weight over the race, this is a sign of my typical over-hydration.

If I'm definitely no longer having fun, give me a beer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What do we have here? My planned race bike, the culmination of a lotta work and planning. Looks like a Redline Monocog 29er singlespeed, but its not quite that simple. Frame: Redline Monocog 29er Forke: Manitou Minute Absolute 80mm Handlebars: Jones H Bar (yes, more expensive than my frame) Brake levers: Vuelta's (nice, long, and light) Brakes: Avid BB7's Front hub: DT Hugi / Onyx Front rim: WTB something or another Rear hub: here we go...Shimano Alfine 8 speed interally geared hub Rear rim: Stans Arch Cranks: AC Lo Pro XT Seatpost: Ritchey Tires: Specialized Fast Trak Pro Now, the reasoning behind this build. First of all, the Jones H Bar is awesome. Bars with a sweep like this one and the On One Mary are the only kind that I can ride for long periods of time without elbow pain. The multiple positions on the Jones are sweet for long rides. The Monocog...well, I like it. It is heavy as a pig, but the ride is nice. This is my first 29er, so I don't know if its wheel si

Yuba Mundo...Schwing!!!

It's been a while... I'd say the knee is almost 100%, but wouldn't wanna hex myself. :-) I've managed to get out for the occasional ride the past 6 weeks or so. Most of my biking focus has been building up the new kid hauler / cargo bike. The Yuba Mundo V3. Nearly fully sorted, just need to come up w/ something for the kids feet. I installed a carbon fiber stoker bar with matching grips...stylin'. I've had the bike out for a few test rides, including a 19 mile, sub-zero night ride on trails. Worked fairly well. Some chain length issues to sort out and disc brake tuning, but otherwise...smooooooth. Riding on the back deck while hanging onto the bars is fun. :-) Specs: Mundo V3 frame - blue Mundo V3 fork (threaded) Shimano STX headset (threaded) Nitto Albatross handlebars Kalloy adjustable stem Oury Mtn grips - blue Shimano LX M581 brake/shift levers Avid BB7 185/160 disc brakes Deore/Ditchwitch wheels w/ 14mm adapters 2.4" Mutano Raptor tires XT sha

Yuba Mundo V3 Upgrades

It's been a while since I posted about the Mundo. It has been pretty cool for toting around 70ish pounds of kids. After some riding, I decided to invest in a few upgrades. I put on a deflopilator, a double-legged kickstand, a front rack (just because it was laying around), and figured out the 185mm rear disc brake. The 185mm disc brake requires a 203mm adapter to clear the rack frame member. Seems to work fine with that setup (at least on the stand, I haven't taken a real ride yet). 185mm rotor with 203mm rear disc brake adapter Cheapo 2 legged kickstand (big improvement)