Skip to main content

New Year, New bike!


It's been abnormally warm and dry here in Colorado, so I've gotten out for a lotta rides. I'm already up to 22 outdoor rides this year, which is a healthy amount for the 30th of January.

Since Salsa's announcement about 1.5 years ago, I've been jonesing for a Salsa Spearfish. I'm convinced that 29ers make a difference for me, and the lure of a full suspension 29er has been strong. Well, Bikeman has a closeout deal on last year's Spearfish frame, with a Rockshox Reba RL and a nice headset for $1199. I couldn't resist!

Here are the build specs:
18" Salsa Spearfish frame
Rockshox Reba RL fork
Cane Creek headset
Carver MyTi handlebars
Titec titanium seatpost
WTB seat
Magura Marta SL front brake
Avid BB7 rear brake
RaceFace Dues crankset (22/32/42)
SRAM cassette
SRAM Attack shifters (9 speed)
FSA PF30 bottom bracket
Stan's 355, WTB Laserdisc Lite wheels
XT front derailleur
XT rear derailleur
Geax Saguaro tires

Total weight is about 27.5lbs. I think it'll be closer to 26lbs when I mount up my Racing Ralphs and run tubeless. I'll probably drop a little more weight when I get my rear BB7 switched out for my rear Marta SL. The Marta SL brake hose is too short, unfortunately.

I've had the bike out for two rides so far. First impressions are that it is smooth and fast. I had forgotten how a full suspension allows me to pedal right through rough stuff, oftentimes seated. The Spearfish really seems to climb nicely. Much better than I remember my Tomac 78 Special climbing. The Spearfish allows more of a point and shoot approach to riding. I can be much lazier with my line choices (compared to riding my 29er hardtail).

I'm encountering quite a few more pedal strikes. It may be due to a lower bottom bracket, or may just be due to the fact that I'm pedaling through stuff that I would have coasted through in the past.

I still have some niggly adjustment issues to work through, but overall I'm very pleased with the way the build turned out. I think the full suspension 29er will help reduce fatigue on long endurance events and just be fun to ride in general.

Comments

Greg Mullen said…
How bout making me one of those. Can you get me rolling for under $2,000? :)
Brad Baker said…
Hmm...I'm thinking that might be a bit low on the $$$'s. I don't like to add these things up. ;-)

The Spearfish 3 complete does retail for $2199, which is pretty close.

Popular posts from this blog

What do we have here? My planned race bike, the culmination of a lotta work and planning. Looks like a Redline Monocog 29er singlespeed, but its not quite that simple. Frame: Redline Monocog 29er Forke: Manitou Minute Absolute 80mm Handlebars: Jones H Bar (yes, more expensive than my frame) Brake levers: Vuelta's (nice, long, and light) Brakes: Avid BB7's Front hub: DT Hugi / Onyx Front rim: WTB something or another Rear hub: here we go...Shimano Alfine 8 speed interally geared hub Rear rim: Stans Arch Cranks: AC Lo Pro XT Seatpost: Ritchey Tires: Specialized Fast Trak Pro Now, the reasoning behind this build. First of all, the Jones H Bar is awesome. Bars with a sweep like this one and the On One Mary are the only kind that I can ride for long periods of time without elbow pain. The multiple positions on the Jones are sweet for long rides. The Monocog...well, I like it. It is heavy as a pig, but the ride is nice. This is my first 29er, so I don't know if its wheel si

Yuba Mundo...Schwing!!!

It's been a while... I'd say the knee is almost 100%, but wouldn't wanna hex myself. :-) I've managed to get out for the occasional ride the past 6 weeks or so. Most of my biking focus has been building up the new kid hauler / cargo bike. The Yuba Mundo V3. Nearly fully sorted, just need to come up w/ something for the kids feet. I installed a carbon fiber stoker bar with matching grips...stylin'. I've had the bike out for a few test rides, including a 19 mile, sub-zero night ride on trails. Worked fairly well. Some chain length issues to sort out and disc brake tuning, but otherwise...smooooooth. Riding on the back deck while hanging onto the bars is fun. :-) Specs: Mundo V3 frame - blue Mundo V3 fork (threaded) Shimano STX headset (threaded) Nitto Albatross handlebars Kalloy adjustable stem Oury Mtn grips - blue Shimano LX M581 brake/shift levers Avid BB7 185/160 disc brakes Deore/Ditchwitch wheels w/ 14mm adapters 2.4" Mutano Raptor tires XT sha

Yuba Mundo V3 Upgrades

It's been a while since I posted about the Mundo. It has been pretty cool for toting around 70ish pounds of kids. After some riding, I decided to invest in a few upgrades. I put on a deflopilator, a double-legged kickstand, a front rack (just because it was laying around), and figured out the 185mm rear disc brake. The 185mm disc brake requires a 203mm adapter to clear the rack frame member. Seems to work fine with that setup (at least on the stand, I haven't taken a real ride yet). 185mm rotor with 203mm rear disc brake adapter Cheapo 2 legged kickstand (big improvement)