Skip to main content

Boo...Yay!

Still having fun at +20 hours!

Well, I think my race season is done... I did (part of) Vapor Trail last week and 24 Hours of Colorado Springs this weekend.

Vapor Trail was a bust. I had a chest/head cold leading up the race, but it seemed to get better in the couple days prior to the start. Guess I wasn't quite ready, as I suffered mightily while breathing heavily at high elevation. My pace was way slower than expected and, at about mile 65, I noticed that my throat/chest were wheezing or whistling with every deep breath. Pulled the plug at Monarch Crest, about 75 miles into the race.

Lessons learned...
Vapor Trail is wicked hard. Major sections of hike-a-bike.
Listen to your body, and don't try to push things when sick.
I need to figure out how to better dress for changing temps and conditions.
All that insane hike-a-bike may (just) be worth the massively fun descent from Granite Mountain

After VT, I got off my butt and went to see the doctor. I should have done this earlier, but for some reason, I have an aversion to seeing the doctor. Anyway, I got on some antibiotics and they gave me an inhaler for my breathing issues. 3 days of that, and I was feeling good enough to go out and give the 24 Hours a shot for fun. I brought the giant trailer, some brews, and 3 bikes. I expected to turn a few laps, hang out, go back out with a different bike, and just have fun.

Well, all was going to plan until I ran into some friends spectating on the course after dusk. I was feeling normal (i.e. I could breath) and was just churning out the miles. One of the guys said I was in second place. Well, that was great and all, but what about the beer back in the fridge that needed to be tended too, as well as the 2 hour nap I was planning?

OK, change of plans...keep riding as long as I'm having fun and I'm feeling ok. On the next lap, I stopped by the top-o-the-hill campsite for a chat, a swig of wine, and some trail mix. Thanks guys! I made it another lap and a half before I started feeling really spacey and cold. Warmed up in the trailer (a godsend), had a cup of coffee, made some soup, and rode through the night and all the way to the finish. Hammered the very last 3 miles of the race with my friend Nick, who pulled off 174 miles, on a SINGLESPEED! Go Nick!

I managed about 160 miles and 3rd place. Very happy with that! Even more than podium finish, just the completion of a solo 24 hours is a goal I've had for a long long time.

Back in '96, I rode Canaan as a member of Team Pyeweed. I couldn't believe there was a 4 person team entered with 4 John Stamstads. Back then, I thought riding for 24 hours was insane and unachievable. As the years have gone by and I've gotten more and more experienced, I thought, "I wanna do that." Well, goal accomplished!

Thanks to my wife and kids for putting up with all the necessary time spent training, as well as the support at the race!

Comments

Unknown said…
Congrats on third, and a successful 24 hr ride!
mtndruid said…
awesome job! think im past being ever able to the a 24hr solo myself, at least mentally.

lets go for a ride one of these days
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

What do we have here? My planned race bike, the culmination of a lotta work and planning. Looks like a Redline Monocog 29er singlespeed, but its not quite that simple. Frame: Redline Monocog 29er Forke: Manitou Minute Absolute 80mm Handlebars: Jones H Bar (yes, more expensive than my frame) Brake levers: Vuelta's (nice, long, and light) Brakes: Avid BB7's Front hub: DT Hugi / Onyx Front rim: WTB something or another Rear hub: here we go...Shimano Alfine 8 speed interally geared hub Rear rim: Stans Arch Cranks: AC Lo Pro XT Seatpost: Ritchey Tires: Specialized Fast Trak Pro Now, the reasoning behind this build. First of all, the Jones H Bar is awesome. Bars with a sweep like this one and the On One Mary are the only kind that I can ride for long periods of time without elbow pain. The multiple positions on the Jones are sweet for long rides. The Monocog...well, I like it. It is heavy as a pig, but the ride is nice. This is my first 29er, so I don't know if its wheel si

Yuba Mundo...Schwing!!!

It's been a while... I'd say the knee is almost 100%, but wouldn't wanna hex myself. :-) I've managed to get out for the occasional ride the past 6 weeks or so. Most of my biking focus has been building up the new kid hauler / cargo bike. The Yuba Mundo V3. Nearly fully sorted, just need to come up w/ something for the kids feet. I installed a carbon fiber stoker bar with matching grips...stylin'. I've had the bike out for a few test rides, including a 19 mile, sub-zero night ride on trails. Worked fairly well. Some chain length issues to sort out and disc brake tuning, but otherwise...smooooooth. Riding on the back deck while hanging onto the bars is fun. :-) Specs: Mundo V3 frame - blue Mundo V3 fork (threaded) Shimano STX headset (threaded) Nitto Albatross handlebars Kalloy adjustable stem Oury Mtn grips - blue Shimano LX M581 brake/shift levers Avid BB7 185/160 disc brakes Deore/Ditchwitch wheels w/ 14mm adapters 2.4" Mutano Raptor tires XT sha

Yuba Mundo V3 Upgrades

It's been a while since I posted about the Mundo. It has been pretty cool for toting around 70ish pounds of kids. After some riding, I decided to invest in a few upgrades. I put on a deflopilator, a double-legged kickstand, a front rack (just because it was laying around), and figured out the 185mm rear disc brake. The 185mm disc brake requires a 203mm adapter to clear the rack frame member. Seems to work fine with that setup (at least on the stand, I haven't taken a real ride yet). 185mm rotor with 203mm rear disc brake adapter Cheapo 2 legged kickstand (big improvement)